From:
Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2007 12:22:23 -0500
HDL seems to be the best artery placque fighter. Can get it via fish oil
supplements. Standard treatment is statins. There's a synthetic HDL that
apparently is still in the experimental stage (see below).

Cholesterol Study Offers Hope for a Bold Therapy
By GINA KOLATA
November 5, 2003
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/05/health/05CHOL.html?amp;ei=5062&en=806334c4
ec7f46ee&partner=GOOGLE&ex=1068613200&pagewanted=print&position=

A small study of heart disease patients testing a hypothesis so improbable
its principal investigator says he gave it a one-in-10,000 chance of
succeeding has found that just a few treatments with an experimental drug
reversed what may be the equivalent of years' worth of plaque in coronary
arteries.

The results, published today in the Journal of the American Medical
Association, involved just 47 heart attack patients. They were randomly
assigned to be infused with one of two concentrations of a substance that
mimics high density lipoprotein, or H.D.L., the substance that removes
cholesterol from arteries, or to be infused with saline, which served as a
control.

After five weekly infusions, those who got the experimental drug had a 4.2
percent decrease in the volume of plaque in their coronary arteries, while
those who had saline infusions had if anything a slight increase in their
plaque.

In contrast, said Dr. Steven E. Nissen, a Cleveland Clinic cardiologist, who
directed the study, the most powerful statins take years to show more modest
effects. Statins lower levels of low density lipoproteins, or L.D.L., which
deliver cholesterol to the coronary arteries.

Dr. Daniel Rader, a lipid expert at the University of Pennsylvania, also
expressed surprise, saying: "It is amazing. The biggest and by far the most
surprising thing is that it can happen so quickly. A weekly infusion? It is
surprising enough that it makes us all want to see it replicated in a larger
study."

Dr. Bryan Brewer, chief of the molecular disease branch at the National
Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, said, "No one has ever seen anything like
this in this amount of time."...

Researchers urge people: Increase good cholesterol
Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 02/20/07
BY STEVE STERNBERG
USA TODAY
http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070220/LIFE11/702200334/1006
/LIFE

A study released this month brings into sharper focus the healing power of
"good" cholesterol. Researchers report that they have linked an increased
level of good cholesterol, or HDL, with a reduction in the amount of plaque
clogging up patients' arteries.

The focus began to shift to HDL in 2003. Nissen and his colleagues reported
then that an unusual type of good cholesterol, called apoA-1 Milano, first
found in a 49-year-old Italian man, could reverse plaque buildup in
patients' arteries. Until then, only high-dose niacin was proven to raise
HDL, but niacin can cause flushing and other side effects. ...