Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 20:34:37 -0400

Hi All! I immediately called my sister to tell her about Celiac being the
newest "stumper disease" on the show "House", because I was soo excited!
She had an awesome idea, and if everyone would do this, we could spread the
word on a massive scale!!  She suggested writing a "Letter to the Editor"
at your local newspaper, (now), and explaining about Celiac disease and of
course talking about how it is going to be featured in the show "House".
Then ask them to print the letter the day after "House" airs.
I am going to include a weblink to Dr. Fasano's prevelance study.
Here is the link to the article and study results:
http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/163/3/286.

Make sure and include this quote from the results:  "Results  In at-risk
groups, the prevalence of CD was 1:22 in first-degree relatives, 1:39 in
second-degree relatives, and 1:56 in symptomatic patients. The overall
prevalence of CD in not-at-risk groups was 1:133."

On second thought, you may want to leave out the first part about
relatives, because those people already know about celiac.  People tend to
get lost in statistics, so it may be more powerful to just put in the part
of the 1 in 56 people with symptoms and 1 in 133 people that have no
symptoms and are not at risk actually have Celiac!

Another thing I am going to do is call my local news station which
airs "House" and ask them to do a special segment on celiac and advertise
it before, and during the episode.

This is our big chance people!!  Everyone do whatever they can!!

Thanks for listening!!
Lisa Hughes R.N.