C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2006 06:30:40 -0400
It's been my experience that if you work with parents of disabled
children, they either put you on a pedestal as a "shining example and
brave person" or they ever so subtly put you down.  I can see the
former but the latter has always puzzled me.  Surely if they want the
best for their child, then shouldn't they treat any disabled co-
workers or professionals the same way?  I have begun to think it
might be an element of jealousy.  Who knows?

Or it could be as simple as every disabled person is instinctively
seen as someone to baby or guide, not let them be totally independent.

But in any way you look at it, it's distasteful to me.  I simply
ignore them and go about my own way.  If they are clients or co-
workers, you need to establish the ground rules.  If, for example,
someone jumps in and says
"oh no, you have to do it this way," or whatever, I'll just say
"thanks, I'll think about it."  If they push you about it, you can
say "Well, I thought about it and I'll do it my way, thank you.  It's
what I think is best for me."  No explanation needed.

I also keep my personal life out of the office whenever possible.
That gives everyone less of a chance to pull such shenanigans and
keeps things on a professional level.

Kat