C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2006 06:11:03 EDT
Hi everyone,

I have a question.  I feel it's odd and I've hesitated to ask, but I  really
need to know if I'm the only one with this issue.  (my bet is  yes)

For a few years, I've worked in various settings providing services to
people with disabilities.
My co workers have been mainly parents of children with disabilities or
medical professioonals such as physical therapists.  I'm finding a lot of
prejudice and resistance to my abilities which is in contrast to my typical
experience.  Usually, if people under estimate me because of my disability  at first,
they change when I show my abilities.  Maybe it takes time, but  usually it
becomes ok.  Not so during my recent experiences and I feel like  I may as well
be banging my head into a brick wall.  There's no use!

Has anyone had a similar experience with professionals in the field of
disability?

Thanks!