Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2006 17:45:14 -0400

Thank you so much to all who responded!  I was only diagnosed in May '05 and this is my first vacation since.  Your answers have put me much more at ease now.  Thanks again!

Groceries:

Several people recommended Publix for groceries.  Here's one person's comment :
"Publix Grocery Store has a fairly good line of GF foods.  They carry Boar's
Head cold cuts, have a wonderful salad section and fresh fruit section. They
have salad bar stuff in fruit and veggies."

A couple of people mentioned Love's Whole Foods (not related to the Whole Foods
chain), located in Ormond Beach, off I-95.  If you take Granada (either from
the beachside or freeway) it's the first road east of I-95 (Williamson Blvd).
It's south of Granada on Williamson on the east side of the street.

"There's another grocery store in Daytona Beach Shores/Port Orange.  It's in a
strip mall on the southwest corner of Dunlawton and S Ridgewood.  It's the
first intersection west of the river. "

Someone suggested that I might be able to order a few things online from
somewhere such as www.sillyyakbakery.com and have them sent to my destination.
Great idea!

Restaurants:

Lone Star, Outback, Ruby Tuesday and several other places that are right on
Speedway Drive are good for eating out.

Buca de Beppo, 2514 W. Int'l Speedway Blvd is supposed to have a GF menu but
you should probably call ahead to confirm.

Carrabba’s, at 2200 W. Int'l. Speedway Blvd., has a GF menu.

There are breakfast places (Denny's, IHOP, etc) at which you can eat.

"...Beachside - I'd recommend going south of Dunlawton to the town of Wilbur by
the Sea - you'll see a sign on A1A  (probably on a bus bench) to turn right for
a marina and a place called Boondocks.  They grill a lot of there food - the
owners are very nice and understanding as well as all the waitresses and the
chef's.  I used to go there all the time -- my favorite place down there."

"I have been to Aunt Catfish's (actually in Port Orange I believe - South of
Daytona Beach but not too far away) and their food is excellent.  They have a
lot of fish, which you can order without seasoning or they also have chicken
and other meat.  There is also a place called Sweetwaters (just down the road
from Aunt Catfish's) and they have good food too - similar menu.  Neither of
these places are on the A1A strip, but if you ask about them at your hotel, or
look them up on the phone book, you will see them listed.  There is also an
Olive Garden on A1A, which I have seen a gluten-free menu listed on our
listserve a few times..."

A GF restaurant guide was suggested (good idea!) but I only had a week's notice
for this trip which likely wouldn't have been enough time for delivery since
I'm in Canada. Next time!

I also received this caveat: "Avoid going to Sonny's BBQ, unless you don't mind
avoiding the BBQ sauce.  I had a terrible and instant reaction there last year
and I didn't have my epi-pen with me."

If I find anywhere else worth mentioning, I'll post about it when I get back.

sd

*******
*******