From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2006 08:44:49 -0500
The MX series of video chips from Nvidia are pretty much their own unique
line of chips, as far as their supported features go.  Although you'll often
see the latest models referred to as Geforce 4 MXs, these are really much
closer to being Geforce 2 chips, as far as their internal construction goes.
Calling these chips Geforce 4s has always been a bit misleading; so, I think
some card manufacturers are doing everyone a favor by dropping this from
their description.

So, to answer your question, a Geforce MX4000 and a Geforce4 MX4000 are the
same thing.

As to what driver to use, looking at the release notes for the latest series
of drivers, version 93.71 drivers continue to show support for these video
cards under Windows XP (but not Windows XP x64).  If you are running Windows
98, nvidia will direct you to their 81.98 drivers.  The release notes for
the 81.98 version drivers don't mention Windows 98 as being supported, but
this support may not be fully documented.  I'd try these 81.98 drivers if
running Win98; if they install properly (i.e., recognize your video card),
they should work fine.

John Sproule

Original Message Excerpt