VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2006 10:49:02 -0800
I recently purchased something from www.amazon.com and did not have much
difficulty.  If Target is using the same interface as Amazon, this sounds
like another Southwest Airlines type of case.  I suspect Target was chosen
more for the size of the store than anything else.  Having dealt with DRA in
the past, I would not be surprised since it is the type of high-profile,
large-payout case which they are famous for.

I do not have any problem with going after companies which have inaccessible
websites.  However, if the Target website is as accessible as Amazon.com, we
are just shooting ourselves in the foot again like we did with the Southwest
Airlines debacle.

At the time of that lawsuit, the claim was that the site was inaccessible.
A month before the lawsuit, I had purchased a round trip ticket on the site,
and I use JFW.  In court, the argument, as I remember it, became something
like, yes we can use it, but it is very difficult.  In other words, access
is there.  This type of action only serves to weaken us overall as others
learn to not take us so seriously when we have actual access barriers.

David Chittenden

Change is the only constant in the universe