From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 12:04:38 -0700
hi tom:
well, sometimes the older sound cards had a high level output wich allowed
you to use them without amplified speakers.
However, i know of no sound card that has been made in the past 5 years or
so that doesn't require amplified speakers to work.

If you want just a regular pair of stereo speakers that sound good and are
going to be loud enough, about 15 to 20 bucks should get you a pair of
decent amplified PC speakers.
Most of the sets that are sold now are 5.1 surround sound systems which
include a sub and 5 satelite speakers.  This is over kill if you just want
jaws to talk and for it to be loud enough to hear.
The reason your communication headphones work fine is because headphones
obviously require a very low input to work, whereas speakers need higher
levels and a different impedance to work.
73
Colin, V A6BKX