From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 08:30:50 -0800

I'm getting inquiries about where to find kefir grains.  I once again refer
you to Dom's kefir site.  Read the whole site.  He has sources & links
listed there.  There are also other sources of real kefir grains in on the
internet.  If you want real kefir grains, do a Google search & you'll find
some.  Some places offer them free.  Other places sell them for a price.
I've seen them offered on E-bay.

"Seek and you shall find." . . . just like I did!

REAL kefir grains are white cottage cheese looking things.  If someone tries
to sell you powdered, or freeze dried kefir starter it's not REAL kefir
grains.  Dom's site makes this very clear.  That said, however, these freeze
dried commercially prepared kefir starters are excellent sources of
beneficial micro flora.  Don't be afraid to try them.  I used freeze dried
Yogourmet kefir starter I purchased at my local health food store before I
found my REAL kefir grains.

Some people are asking me if they or their kids like it, if it will control
IBS, etc.  My crystal ball is broken, so you'll have to find out for
yourself.

As far as adverse reactions to kefir goes . . .

One person said they got a "reaction" from kefir and supposed it was due to
lactose intolerance.  I suppose it could have been, but I doubt it.
Properly fermented kefir is lactose free.  It was more likely a "Herx"
reaction.

"Herx" reactions:  Because kefir contains many, many beneficial
microorganisms, it may bring on a temporary "Herxheimer reaction" when it is
first introduced into the diet.  The Herx reaction is a cluster of symptoms
that result from the battle between the beneficial micro flora destroying
the pathological micro flora in the gut.  Symptoms may include, fatigue,
diarrhea, gas, brain fog, headache.  It may not be pleasant, but it's a good
sign that your gut health is in the mend.

Not everyone gets a "Herx" reaction, but even if they do, it usually doesn't
last longer than a day or two.  I had a "Herx" reaction of a few hours of
fatigue & a sloppy stools for several days.  If you experience a severe Herx
reaction, you can cut back or stop your kefir intake until it passes, then
slowly reintroduce kefir back into your diet.

I've heard of many people who haven't experienced any Herx reaction at all.
No other members of my family had a Herx reaction.

I've heard of others whose chronic diarrhea stopped after their very first
serving of kefir and use kefir to control IBS symptoms.

I know one person who had a horrid toxic reaction to kefir akin to multiple
chemical sensitivities.  Go figure!

I know someone else who can't tolerate kefir due to milk allergies.  I
thrive on goat milk kefir, but get allergic symptoms from cow's milk kefir.

If my crystal ball were properly functioning, I'd be able to tell everyone
if they'll like kefir or not, if they'll tolerate it, if they'll have a Herx
reaction, or if kefir it will control their IBS, etc.,  but until it's
repaired, you'll have to take your chances.

Valerie in Tacoma