From:
"Schoeler, Deann" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Schoeler, Deann
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2006 20:30:10 -0700

Hi All,

Thanks for all your quick responses.  Of the dozen or so, all but one concurred that vanillin is indeed gluten-free and directed the way to some great resources on the internet.  Celiac.com was a popular choice and it does show vanillin on the gluten-free list.  The one that was neutral just stated to avoid Vanillin and extracts made with or processed with gluten-containing alcohol.

However, I did contact the company who originally told me their product was not gluten-free because of the vanillin and asked again why.  Below is their response:
"The vanillin we use is derived from wheat. There are other vanillin products
on the market that are not, but the one we use is."
Thanks.
The product in question were candy coated sunflower seeds manufactured by the Sunflower Food Company.  I'm glad

I contacted them!  It might not hurt to contact manufacturers of the usual products we use that contain vanillin once in

a while, just to ensure that they haven't changed their vanillin to the wheat derived one.

Deann in Kent