From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 14:47:20 -0500
Thanks, Tom and Peter.

I tried turning off the restore, but that did not work.

I boldly (foolishly?) went into regedit and changed the permission in the
"run" section.  Well, I got an unexpected result in that everything in that
section vanished.  However, the bad stuff is gone and I seem to be working
ok, but I did lose some other things which may or may not have consequences
down the road.  (A good time to move to Vista.)  Msconfig now shows those
things missing in the startup section, as well as some other stuff.  Some
stuff is still there.  I have a book on the registry, but it is very poorly
written.  It did suggest that things had to be eliminated by hand now and
then when a program is removed, and it did talk about permissions.  However,
things did not work quite as I had suspected.

At any rate, the problem is solved for now.  Will worry about the other
problems, if any, when they pop up.  :)

Dean

PS: I don't have much of importance on this computer.  Games, email, stuff
like that.  I would never experiment like that on a computer that had
important material on it.