From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2006 09:30:25 -0500
On Tue, 09 May 2006 08:53:12 -0500, William <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Mon, 08 May 2006 20:02:22 -0400, Adam Sroka <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Therefore, what you *think* you know about "millions of years of life"
>> had to come from somewhere. After all neither you nor anyone you know
>> was there. Or maybe you are just guessing? There seems to be a lot of
>> that going on around here.
>
> The record of millions of years is written in our bodies. It is called
> the immune system, also instinct. I'm not guessing.

Assumptions made by anyone (you, me, whoever) based on the reactions of
their own immune system do start off as guesswork.  If I have a bad
reaction to a food, and then I avoid that food, I may believe I have made
a sound decision based on evidence provided by my own body.  In reality,
it's a guess.  It may have been an organism or contaminant in the food,
not the food itself, or it may have been some completely unrelated factor
(an unrelated infection, for example) that just happened to coincide with
the timing of the food.  (I can test my assumption by repeated exposure
while trying to control other factors as much as possible, but then that's
more like science than it is instinct.)

The other trouble with using the immune system as a guideline is that you
can really only have feedback on items that cause acute reactions.
Suppose, for example, that fifty years of eating white flour is going to
give me a disease.  Yet daily meals with hot dinner rolls have no
discernible effect on me.  As I sit pondering my meal with the hot rolls,
I might decide that they are tasty and filling, they don't cause me any
distress, and so therefore they are OK to eat.  Fifty years later when my
immune system finally caves and I see the effects of disease, I will not
be able to connect those two events.

It seems a lot of people here *do* have very acute reactions to various
foods.  But I'm inclined to think this is more of a food allergy in the
individual than it is a species-wide evolved rejection of that food, since
these reactions are the exception, not the norm (even among this list, let
alone among the general population).  So one person's "instinct" is going
to tell him something completely different from another person's
instinct.  That's fine, but if the "record of millions of years" varies
that much from one individual to another, it's pretty hard to make
generalized decisions from it.

--
   Robert Kesterson