VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2006 21:17:57 -700
Reminder: Send comments on list operation to

Hi Vickie,
There may be programs out there which run as an application and
read/modify bios settings.

there are portions of the bios which are standardized and might
be manipulated in a standard way, but each chip set and
motherboard developer often has custom bios settings which are
non-standard.

A quick look, thanks to my wife, shows some diagnostic programs
that claim to recover bios data but none that clearly show the
ability to modify it.

The only approach I've ever heard of is to get one of the older
and very rare parallel port speech synthesizers, Echo II GP
or Lite talk, and connect it to a parallel printer port.

then you get into the bios, and do a control print screen.  Back
then, the screen would be dumpped to the speech synth, and you
could go from there trying to remember what the heck the screen
said, and make changes, and then do this again and again till,
maybe, you got what you wanted.

This is real geek level masochism, I've never tried it and have
no plans to do so.

You could also, use a parallel port braille embosser and do the
same thing, getting braille dumps of each screen to compair.

Also a pretty hairy idea.

Basic answer, as far as I know it is nearly impossible.

I had an old Papenmeier Notex486 which had a dos utility specific
to that hardware which would read your bios settings into a text
file which you could then modify and send back to bios, but again
that was specific to that custom mother board and bios.

It'll be interesting to see what others know.

Best

tom Fowle

Net-Tamer V 1.13 Beta - Registered

    Send comments on list operation to