VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:16:46 -0700
If you need a meter for making electrical measurements see the update
and offer below. Note Jerry's ME11 meters come with a neat little
morse code readout as published in QST magazine.

Regarding accessible DMMs we have purchased and worked with the
currently availablelMetex M386qd multi-meter.   This has a serial
port which should be able to work with most accessible computers
etc.  It operates in a manner similar,but not identical to the
Metex Me11 which was previously available from Radio Shack.

I have developed a modified version of the Morse Meter project QST magazine
april 2005, which works with this m386qd.

This meter should work with slightly modified versions of Lyle
Koehler K0LR's dosand windows meter access software as available
from HandiHams.

This meter measures the usual D.C. and A.C. voltages and currents and takes
"True RMS" measurements on A.C. This is critical for accuracy
when working with alternating currents and voltages having other
than very regular sine wave forms.

It also measures resistance, transistor "HFE" capacitance
inductance  frequency and temperature, thermocouple probe
supplied.

The baud rate is different from the earlier me11

I'll be working up a paper to make generally available on using
this meter with various adaptive systems, meanwhile those
having the need for such a device can contact me for help,
including source code for the morse meter varration.

Note: We do not sell meters, the morse meter device, or anything
else, we only do prototypes and "words!"

So far as I know, Besides the adapted $600.00 talking DMM from
Science products, this is the only currently available approach
to having an accessible DMM.

Tom Fowle WA6IVG
Embedded Systems Developer/ Rehab engineer
Rehabilitation Engineering Research Center
The Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute
2318 Fillmore St.
San Francisco, CA 94115
415-345-2123 (Voice)