VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:40:38 -700

I must agree with Bill Pasco here, this has nothing to do with
ADA. compliance.
As an example of how much money businesses spend on inaccessible
equipment, my employeer installed a very much less than
accessible digital phone system when we moved 7 years ago.
The access problems have been solved by going to analog lines,
but i found out that each and every basic desk set for this
digital system with toggling buttons, unreadable lcd displays and
horrible documentation cost them $500.00, that's five hundred
bucks for a bloody stupidly designed desk phone.

If businesses are paying that kind of money for bad equipment,
then the cost of Jaws, which is yes totally inexcusable for real
people, isn't chicken feed for most reasonably sized businesses.

So let the employeers pay, and pay, and pay, corperate proffits
are huge these days, spread it around.

but yes, costs of adaptive equipment are unjustifiable for
individuals, those companies also make huge proffits.

The ADA has not done as much as it should have for blind folks, I
know members of the compliance boardwho agree, so don't blame the ADA for
what it doesn't do, that's shooting your self in the foot, or
somewhere.

P.S. I consider very small businesses should be thought of as
individuals for these situations.

Sorry for long diatribe.
tom Fowle

Net-Tamer V 1.13 Beta - Registered