From:
Kevin Eifler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 17:50:50 -0500
Hi All!

I'd like to chime in on the pemmican discussion. I have actually ordered
the uswellnessmeats.com (aka grasslandbeef.com) pemmican and I did enjoy
it very much. Yes, the price is quite a bit steep, but is a very
convenient snack. Also, someone had asked it it could be frozen. My
experience is that that particular brand of pemmican (are there any others
out there?) seems to NEED to be frozen or it will quickly take on the
consistency of patte or liverwurst. The taste also patte-like and it took
me a little while to get used to it, but I soon did... and liked it.
   A question: pemmican is often descibed (as in Neanderthin) as being so
handy that it can be stored at room temperature and still be ready to eat.
I sort of imagined hockey puck-like snacks that were firm like oatcakes.
For those of you out there who have made pemmican yourselves have you
succeeded in making it firm and "durable" or is the best when frozen
popsicle-style uswellnessmeats.com version the way it's supposed to be?
Thanks in advance.

Kevin Eifler
Burlingame, CA