C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:26:53 -0500
MSNBC story says:

The casualty toll was so low because people left town or went to
shelters after authorities posted warnings. Residents and officials
were mindful of the damage Hurricane Katrina did to New Orleans and
Mississippi last August, said Ben Creagh, a spokesman for Queensland
state Department of Emergency Services.

“Everyone here studied Katrina and took a lot of messages away, a lot
of lessons at the expense of the poor old Yanks,” Creagh said. “There
was absolutely no complacency at the planning level at all, and I
think that shows. ... Good planning, a bit of luck — we’ve dodged a
bullet.”

(The link to the story: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11915471/)

I am relieved to hear no one was killed and am glad to hear they
benefited from "the poor old Yanks'" mistakes with Hurricanes Katrina
and Rita, but am saddened to hear of so much property damage.   I
hope you, dear Rayna, are OK.

Kat