From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:17:26 -0600
perhaps the only difference in the hobby these days is that its a little
less of an alete group of techy minded individuals and is more open to many
different people with different levels of education and who have other
interests, perhaps not the biggest of which is amateur radio?
is there something terribly wrong with folks on the air who dont spend all
their waking hours on the radio or dedicate their lives to ham radio?
If they use it as a higher form of CB, well, what is wrong with that, since
that is precisely what it is.  Amateur radio is a hobby dedicated to
communications through radio devices and which is regulated by licensing but
availible to all citizens regardless of their race age sex bla bla bla,
which, as it happens, is what the CB band happens to be, except without the
licensing aspect.   Citizens band, and with ham radio, bands.

Ham radio doesn't have to be all about radio, its about people and the
social interaction of people from all over the world who have different
interests and different points of view...its not supposed to be all about
the discussion of radio theory, or how many contacts you made in the last
contest or about how to build antennas, at least, not all the time.
There is no reason for the hobby to be open only to those who are
technically minded or who give their all to the hobby.  Its open to anyone
who chooses to pass the regulated accepted and rather thorough exam that is
in place to make sure they have some level of understanding and know their
responsibilities.
73
Colin, V A6BKX