From:
jjsmith29 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jjsmith29 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2005 06:33:50 -0700

Thank you to all those who responded!  I appreciate
your input immensely!  Here is a summary of responses
I received...

36 said to heat them, i.e. in the microwave, on the
stove, or in oil.

24 said to steam in the microwave between damp paper
towells for a minute or so depending on how many you
have.  1 suggested using parchment paper with the
corners tucked in instead of paper towells,

1 said to store in pantry, not the fridge

3 said white corn is better than yellow

3 said to wet first and let sit till flexible

2 said to wrap in foil and heat in a 350 oven for 5-7
minutes

5 said to warm the tortillas first and then dip in
sauce before filling and rolling

1 said to freeze them, defrost when using

1 said to make your own and make sure you have moist
enough dough

2 said to dunk in a pot of boiling sauce or water
breifly

1 said to dredge in salsa first

1 said to use toothpicks

Here are some comments and some yummy ideas!!

------------------------------------
Cold, stale tortillas crumble when bent, be sure to
use them as fresh as possible.
------------------------------------
Soft fry six corn tortilla and spread on paper towel
to absorb excessoil (canola).

Sprinke with a little grated pepper jack, add two
tablespoons of pinto beans (drained).  We cook our
own.

A good teaspoon of salsa.

Roll, fasten with a toothpick and place on a wire rack
in a cookie sheet with the cookie sheet covered with
foil for easy clean up.

Cover rolled tortillas with grated pepper jack and
bake at 400 for about 10 minutes.  Set to broil and
broil until cheese bubbles (careful - will burn
easily).

Serve with sliced tomato and sliced apple  or
pineapple on the side.
-----------------------------------
Make sure they are fresh, and warm them slightly in a
skillet before trying to roll anything.  They dry out
easily so freshness really counts. Traditionally, the
corn tortilla is briefly immersed in hot oil, flipped
over,  & then drained before rolling enchiladas. This
leaves it more flexible and less absorbant of the
sauce than the cold or simply warmed tortila, but also
adds calories!

I also get around the rolling issue by making stacked
enchiladas - a pile of
tortilla-filling-tortilla-filing -tortilla-filling, &
all then smothered in the sauce & baked.

Favorite vegan filling (veggie if you add real cheese)
cooked spinach, toasted walnuts or pine nuts, and
cooked & shredded delicata squash (other winter squash
on the sweet side will do but the delicata is our
favorite!

If I am just making a quesadilla or some variation, I
spread the filling on the tortilla, & brush a bit of
butter in the seasoned cast iron or non-stick skillet,
lay down the tortilla and put a lid on it
at low heat to warm the filling before rolling/folding
and serving.
Cream cheese spreads -savory herbs or with smoked
salmon  - go well this way also, with some shredded
lettuce, onion or chopped tomato or avocado folded in.
---------------------------------------
what I do is more like a lasagne with tortillas.  I
just break the tortillas, lay them flat in the pan and
add my enchilada fixins, layer more tortillas, and so
on.  You don't get individual enchiladas but you get
the same flavor, etc.  I do that with chicken
enchiladas (cottage cheese, sour cream, chicken and
onions) as well as burger enchiladas and bean
mixtures, depending on what kind I'm making.
--------------------------------------
The traditional method is to dip each tortilla into
hot oil (deep fryer) for a moment before rolling.  A
more healthy way to make enchiladas, I usually take a
stack of them (5-6 at a time) and spray each side with
oil-spray (Pam, et at).  I then put the stack into a
med-heat skillet (no additional oil) for a minute or
two, (you may need to turn the bottom tortilla once)
and then start the rolling and filling process, taking
the tortillas from the bottom of the stack, and adding
more tortillas to the top of the stack, as needed.
You can also spray the tortillas and then put them
into the oven to soften them before using, but I think
this is less efficent and also doesn't work as well.