Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 2005 08:04:17 -0700
I do have a second SATA channel on my motherboard. Unfortunately, the
failure is so intermittent that it will be difficult to catch. As Toomas
pointed out, it could be a situation of a marginal power condition. I will
check that out - I left the cover off the computer, and no failure has so
far occurred. I have had three failures so far and all happened when the
cover was on. When I removed the cover to check, the computer started
working again. Of course, it also started working on a reboot without the
cover being removed, so the cover off condition is not yet definitive.

Joseph recommended the WD diagnostics, which I had already downloaded and
tried. Did not run the long test yet, but he short one reported no problems.
Thank you to all for responding your experiences and suggestions. If I find
anything of note, I will report back to the list.

Peter