From:
Paul Hachmeyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:33:29 -0400
Bought the same HD for my daughter about 3-4 months ago, so far,
no problems.  She uses the 5 month old HP for 3-8 hours daily.
Drive is sitting on the long edge rather than flat. The HP media
centers only have one hd slot plus a bay for the HP personal
removable drives.

Peter wrote:

> My new (2 months) Western Digital WD3200JD SATA drive is starting to fail. I
> don't know for sure if it is the drive or the SATA interface on my
> motherboard. The boot drive is an ATA drive and continues to work fine. The
> SATA is my data drive. After a boot, the SATA drive works fine, but then it
> may suddenly disappear! Disk manager shows no drive present. Device manger
> says that the SATA interface is working fine. Only a reboot will fix this
> situation.
>
> Another computer user I know in town just got a new computer for himself and
> installed a SATA drive. He had some lockup problems that he described to me.
> It sounded very much like the hard drive interface or hard drive was
> failing. He temporarily replaced the drive with his old ATA drive, and all
> lockup problems went away.
>
> My question to the list is to find out how prevalent SATA failure may be.
> Are the drives prone to failure, or is it the controller on the motherboard
> that is the culprit? I suspect the drive, but till I can run further
> analysis no conclusion can be made. Please share any feedback on SATA that
> you may have.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Peter

                     support at our newest website: