From:
"L. Ament-Ruder" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
L. Ament-Ruder
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2005 21:22:55 -0400

Hi All:

Summaries from all the wonderful people who shared their experiences--Thank
you!  I will report back on how our trip went.

1) There's a Whole Foods on Magazine Street uptown.  Seafood is so prevalent
in
NO almost any restaurant can prepare it for you with your instructions.
And, of course, there are Outbacks and PF Chang's there, but if you're in NO
you should eat somewhere besides a chain!  Unfortunately, I don't think
anyone in NO makes gluten free bread pudding yet!  Have a good trip.

2) We ate at a fabulous, upscale Italian Restaurant in the French
market....the
name had "Luna" in it....maybe Bella Luna?  It was a well-known place and
you should make reservations. The food was great, the server was
knowledgeable and helpful in steering my husband towards gf selections.  It
was gorgeous inside with a breathtaking view.

3) Hi: ; Go to www.outback.com , www.carrabbas.com , www.bonefishgrill.com .
They are all owned by Outback Steakhouse and have gluten free menus and
location maps on their web sites.  I have eaten at all these restaurants
with no adverse effects.  Print a copy of the menu, take it with you,

4) I ate at Mulat's on Julia Street.  It is a family style place with
wonderful cajun live music and a dance floor in the middle.  I think I had
chicken with Jambalaya.  We also at Miriam's on Jackson Square for lunch -
probably would have been too pricey for dinner.  There's a rice store on
Jackson Square (maye Konriko) where some g.f. products are sold such as
Holgrain Crackers.

5) Overall, I was a little disappointed with my limited choices.  I had
heard that in New Orleans they only fry with cornmeal (as a coating).  That
was not the case.  Everywhere I went, they used wheat flour with the
cornmeal. On the plus side, everything I ate, even if it was similar (beans,
rice & sausage) was delicious.  I'd like to hear what others recommend for
my next trip to New Orleans.

6) The best restaurant is Commander's Palace in the Garden District (also
one of the top 10 restaurants in the entire USA!) and they have a prix fixe
lunch which is outstanding. Call ahead to inquire about menu options-they
are very friendly and may be able to accommodate you. Look forward to your
summary.

7) Leslie:  I'm sure that several others will tell you about places in New
Orleans - but for me, the greatest place was the Acme Oyster House.  They
have two locations - one in the French Quarter and one on Lake Ponchartrain.
They use only corn flour for their fried foods.  We were in New Orleans for
a week two years ago and I have to admit, we ate at least 2 dinners and 2
lunches at Acme!  It was the first time I had been able to indulge in deep
fried shrimp and soft shell crab in 11 years!!  I made a pig of myself.  We
also ate at Brennan's Steak House (French Quarter).  The chef and wait staff
were great - the chef advised me on the wine sauce on the steak and even
came out and assured me that I could order a dessert without a problem - and
what a dessert it was, homemade lime gelato with a pecan shell!   And of
course, there are always pecan pralines - gluten free - I would have been
better off if they weren't!   Since New Orleans is a sea food town, you can
usually get sea food that is safe.  Try barbecued shrimp - great!   Have a
wonderful time in New Orleans - it is without a doubt, my favorite city in
the U.S.

8) Thanks to all who responded. I just returned from New Orleans and had
only good experiences. The Acme Oyster Bar is, indeed, an excellent place.
Please note that they use dedicated fryers, and that the oysters are in
batter that has no flour, but the fries are put into a different fryer where
they are exposed to flour. The manager, James, couldn't have been nicer, and
cooked my fries in the oyster oil -- he did it himself. Also, the cole slaw
won't win any awards, but after reading through all the labels he brought
out, we figured out that it is g-f.

9) We also went to K-Pauls, an old favorite. As others have noted, only the
blackened tuna is safe, as is the crème brulee. A tough place to eat when
others are having the best jambalaya of their lives, though, and the fish
wasn't actually all that good. Maybe an off night.

10) Another restaurant that worked well was Maximos. The chef, Paul, made a
very good risotto for our table of three. Not on the menu, but he enjoyed
making it and I enjoyed eating it. Not outstanding, but a nice,
sophisticated yet still relaxed restaurant.

11) The biggest secret of eating g-f in N.O. is to stay at the W (not the
one in the French Quarter but the big one). The head chef, Steward Redhead,
and his team of Jamie and Trey, took things very seriously and made me the
best food I ate during the trip. An incredible french Vidalia onion soup
using my bread (Montina based, that I brought along) for the croutons, and a
signature dish, "barbeque shrimp" (not actually b-b-q'd) an outstanding
dish, g-f or not. They cooked me omelets in the am, toasted my bread in the
oven in skillets, etc. Took amazing care of me. Ther restaurant is Zoë. If
you go there, whether or not you stay at the hotel, call ahead and do it on
a night when Stewart is there. You will love it.

12) I was there for 3 weeks in January. The Hilton Riverside bought pots and
pans and knives and cutting boards for me and now know a lot about Celiac
Disease! Sbasis restaurant made me Bouillabaisse with a wine sauce instead
of the andouille sauce. I thought I had died and gone to Heaven! The W hotel
will make you a terrific gf meal as will Mr. Bs ! I even ate at Gordon Biers
Brewery and they made me a salad with salmon and steamed vegetables on top.
Excellent! The secret is to only eat at upscale restaurants. I went to GW
Fins so many time that they had gf down pat! You must have their scallops!
Del Monicos was another wonderful experience. Honestly I did not get sick
from these restaurants. The only time I got sick was when I ate some bacon
off a buffet and helped myself to precut strawberries.

Regards,

Leslie Ament, Partner
Hypatia Marketing & Communications, Calculating ResultsTM
P: 617-230-0067
F: 781-861-9142
E: [log in to unmask]
www.Hypatiacommunications.com

Hypatia of Alexandria (c. 370-415). The first woman to make substantial
contributions to the development of mathematics, astronomy and philosophy.
She is also credited with inventing instruments of measurement such as the
Astrolabe & Hydroscope.