Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:03:34 -0500
Hello Nita,

By "load(ing)" I assume you are referring to the installation of the
operating system. More information on your computer and the procedure you
followed for the install, method to format, etc., would be helpful.

On the surface it appears that you may have a bad install or possibly some
connections that are not making good constant contact. Were there any errors
during the installation? If Setup completed without any errors then the
install was probably okay. I would then double check all cables and
connections making sure they are correct and making good contact. This being
an older system, it's possible you have a bad power or data cable or
connector. The data cables used with your hard drive contain many individual
wires (40 or 80) and when connecting and routing them around inside the
case, over time one or more of those wires can be broken. With this in mind,
you might try using a cable from the other system if all else appears okay.
Were any other hardware changes made? Is the jumper on the drive set
correctly (Master)? All printers, scanners, and anything else not essential
to running Windows should be disconnected until the system is up and
running. Also insure there is no disk in the floppy drive.

Changing the CMOS battery resets it back to the default settings. If you had
made any changes to the BIOS previously, changing boot order, etc., you
would need to make those changes again. Depending on your BIOS you may need
to turn LBA on for hard drives. When the first screen appears watch to see
how to enter the BIOS Setup. The "Del" key is common but it will vary with
BIOS and version. Then navigate through the various screens looking for LBA
(turn on if off) or a large drive option.

Sven Swanson, Sr.