C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 14:01:22 -0500
This is an advisement to those on this list who are in wheelchairs or do
not move about much, especially those us in our 40s and 50s and older.

Most of you know I've been in a wheelchair for a bit over 7 years now,
after being ambulatory all of my life.  Well, I went to my doctor for a
checkup a few weeks ago, and since I am just past 50 and in a wheelchair,
she suggested I get a bone scan which I got yesterday.

The doctor's office called me this morning - very quick! - and told me I
have severe bone loss in my right hip - the one I don't put any weight one
due to arthritis - and my lower back.  I have to start a drug program
immediately.  She told me people in wheelchairs are particularly prone to
bone loss, even men.

So I'm advising you - if you're in your late 40s or early 50s, ask your
doctor about a scan for bone loss.  It's quick and painless, and it could
save your life.

Kat