From:
"Stump, Marion" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stump, Marion
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:20:06 -0400

Thanks to every one that responded to my original post below.  I've
summarized the responses and will post in a 2 part message.

Original Post - Does anyone know of a good brand of gluten free
enchalida sauce or have a recipie for enchalida sauce???

good. 3 people said they use the Pace Enchilada Sauce and/or 505 Salsas
Enchilada Sauce.

My absolute favorite is also gluten-free which I was very happy to find
out after my diagnosis.  I order it online from Monroe's Chile.  They
use gluten-free ClearJel for
thickening which is corn based.  Their website URL is
<www.monroeschile.com>.  Their addresses are:  6051 Osuna Road
NE,Albuquerque, NM - (505)881-4224 and 1520 Lomas Blvd. NW,
Albuquerque,NM - (505)242-1111.  Their e-mail address is:
They process orders out of their Lomas Blvd. location, I believe.  I
have no financial interest in Monroe's, but love, love, love
theirenchilada sauce.

We use Hatch Enchilada Sauce (I found this at the health food section of

our local Food 4 Less). Both the green and red enchilada sauces are GF.
Safeway Select
enchilada sauce is also GF based on their GF list that someone had
posted on this list. We have used both sauces and enjoyed them equally.

If you are anywhere near Kroger Stores, their red and green enchilada
sauces are gluten free. It's the only one I've found. Krogers is great
about having their modified food starch as corn starch. They are also
very helpful when you call the 800 number. All their tomatoes, catsup,
mustard, etc. is all gluten free.

I believe McCormick has a packaged Enchilada sauce.  It's quite good.
McCormick has full disclosure on labels, so be sure to read to confirm.

Las Palmas is GF - cider vinegar, no flour,  'spice' is listed on the
label but I had contacted them & was assured it was GF. I use Las Palmas
Enchilada sauce or you can use the Las Palmas red chili sauce, but this
one is a little hot so I add tomatoe sauce to tone it down a bit.

I haven't made my enchiladas with it yet, but Hatch Chile Co. makes an
enchilada sauce labeled Hatch Select Enchilada Sauce.  I called them
when we were going to friends' house and they needed to know one I could
have.and I was told at that time that it was gf.  It has been about six
months or so at least, so you will want to check with them again.  It is
Hatch Chile Co, PO Box 752, Deming, NM 88031. Unfortunately I don't have
the phone # handy but you can probably get it on switchboard.

If you live near a Safeway store their store brand enchildada sauce is
GF.