From:
Deborah DalSanto <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 2005 09:41:35 EDT

Well, I received over 100 responses to my E-mail.

The bottom line - Most people completely follow the GF diet and are glad they
do so.  Although, it was mentioned several times that the people who follow
the diet are the ones who are on the Celiac forums and mail lists.  The others
would not be interested in reading the posts. So, I do not know the % of
Celiacs that are compliant vs those who aren't. The people who struggle the most
are the ones who have never had physical symptoms (diarrhea, vomiting, severe
weight loss,etc). Although, the majority of them still stay gluten free.  A few
have cheated or stretch the rules of GF.

Everyone was wonderful and encouraging, thank you, with the exception of one
man who E-mailed me a couple of times and said he is a counselor and I am in
denial and need to grow up.  There is one in every crowd.

I think another point that was repeated several times - I am not the only one
who is struggling with this diet.  There are so many people who told me they
can barley stand being on this diet.  It appears it is not the food, because
there are many great alternatives, but the restrictions it puts on people when
traveling, going out with friends, in business situations, and spur of the
moment plans.  It was helpful to hear their honesty. That helped so much.  I am
so glad to know that I am not the only one who has trouble in these situations,
and feel the way I do.

The bottom line - this is not easy, but could be much worse if not followed.

           Thanks again!  What a wonderful group!

                                             Deb