From:
Chris Gralapp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Gralapp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:09:41 -0700

Hello folks,

Summer is a perfect time to think about making a nice cornbread.  I was interested in adapting a Southern Style Cornbread recipe to GF/CF.  Southern style is less cakey, more savory and less sweet than Northern Style.I was reacting to something in the recipe, so I have asked for help here, and you came through.

Substitutions for buttermilk:

-most people said to use soymilk or nut milk, and add 1 teaspoon of acid (lemon juice, cider vinegar, even vitamin C tablet crushed).  One must let it sit for 5 - 10 minutes, to allow the milk to sour, and to thicken.  The acid makes the mix very light, as it reacts with the soda to create carbon dioxide gas.

-another person suggested using soy yogurt, to achieve a thickness equivalent to buttermilk, which is a thicker liquid.

Cornmeal:

-Shiloh Farms Cornmeal
-Albers Cornmeal
-War Eagle Mill. 11045 War Eagle Road,
Rogers, Arkansas. The Phone Number is 479-789-5343. They mill their corn on
a separate mill so it is not in contact with gluten grains
-Hodgson Mill all natural stone ground yellow corn meal.
Their address is Hodgson Mill, Inc 1203 Niccum Avenue, Effingham, Il 62401.
Phone is 800-525-0177 ext 231. Website is www.hodgsonmill.com

Here is the recipe:

1 cup cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup yogurt (maybe more if you don't use part water, but I always think it doesn't hurt cornbread at all to increase the liquid)
1 or 2 Tablespoons oil.

Heat oven to 475 degrees. Put skillet with a heat resistant handle on burner with the oil in it and put all the other ingredients in a bowl and mix them up with a spoon or whisk.  Add the oil from the skillet to the mixture and mix it in fast; then pour the cornmeal mixture into the hot skillet. Bake10 minutes  or more if necessary. It doesn't seem to hurt cornmeal to overbake it. Serve it HOT, preferably.

Thanksfor all the helpful replies!

Chris in Califonia