From:
Debbie Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Debbie Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2005 21:29:47 -0500

Just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my questions about antibody
tests on my Celiac college son returning from his first year and to
summarize the information I received.  The general consensus was that his
positive IGA antigliadin means exposure to gluten.  The negative EMA points
to less severe intestinal damage and goes up with the amount of intestinal
damage.  The IGG antigliadin is a less helpful test these days because it
is less specific and can be positive when other things are going on in the
intestines.

I called the University of Chicago Celiac Disease Program information line
at 773-702-7593 and received helpful information on the follow up tests
they recommend.  They recommend the tTg-IgA and the IgA anti-gliadin.  "The
IgA anti-gliadin should have a very low negative value. In this case,the
numerical value does matter because a high negative test result still
indicates that a patient is eating gluten.  A low negative indicates that
the diet is working well."

I  will be encouraging my son to take a look at better options for managing
the diet next year.  We are fortunate to have blood tests available to keep
us on the right track.