From:
Linda Ireland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Ireland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2005 11:44:37 -0700

I just read this summary (I must have missed the original post), and I
thought I should add my favorite use of corn tortillas, especially the
leftover ones - tortilla soup!  The traditional version of this is
called Sopa Azteca (Aztec Soup), but my version is:

Whatever the Aztecs had Leftover in the Kitchen GF Soup
4 corn tortillas, sliced like fetuccini noodles (1/4" -1/2" wide)
  (you can use dry, stale tortillas, or fresh ones)

2 chicken breasts, sliced in strips
  (or if it's leftover pre-cooked chicken, shred it)
2-3 Italian sausage links, diced and fried (optional)
(I have even used leftover hamburger, etc., instead of chicken or
sausage)

2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
4 epazote leaves, diced, or
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
(Epazote is a Mexican herb that is somewhat similar to cilantro)
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground celery seed
3 poblano peppers, seeded and devained, chopped (optional)

3 large fresh tomatoes, diced
(or put them in the blender with the onions and the spices), or
1 can Muir Glen diced tomatoes, or
1 cup of tomato sauce

1 quart chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste
Vegetable oil

Slice and fry the tortillas in vegetable oil, and drain off the excess
oil. Drain the tortilla strips on paper towels.  If you're trying to cut
calories, or just a lazy cook, you can skip this step, or use dried out,
stale tortillas, or microwave the fresh ones for about 15 seconds.

If you're starting with raw chicken and/or Italian sausage, fry it next
(in the same pan), brown the sausage well, and then remove them from the
pan.  If there's a lot of excess fat, drain it off, too.  Saute the
garlic and onion, add in the spices and saute a minute or so until you
can smell their aroma bloom.  Add in the tomatoes and stir until they
thicken slightly.  Then add in the chicken broth and put the meat back
in and simmer just until it's hot.  If you had a little leftover green
beans, or corn, or rice, or whatever's in your fridge, toss it in now
and heat it through.

When you serve the soup, have the tortilla strips along side, and have
each person put some into their bowl and ladle the soup over them, a
minute or so before they eat.  They will soften enough to make great
noodles, but if they're part of the soup itself, they'll get soggy.

Topping options:
Diced avocado
Diced onion
Sour cream
Mexican queso fresco ("fresh cheese") or
Mozarella or Feta or cream cheese, etc.
2 chiles pasilla dried and fried, cut into small pieces

Like I said, it's a mix of whatever you have leftover, as well as
whatever you prefer...

Linda Ireland, Seattle