C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Magenta Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 2005 17:24:07 -0700
Thanks, Deri...
Hi Mary,

> 1.  I was born prematurely, 11 weeks early, weighing 2 lb. 12 oz.,

That may or may not have caused cp, ask a neuro.

> 4.  Additionally, I have scar tissue from when I sprained my left ankle 23
> years ago; it healed improperly. I have a limp.

can they do an arthoscopy to remove the tissue and heal it correctly?

> 5.  I have trouble climbing stairs; it wears me out and makes my legs
hurt.

take elevator if available.  if it hurts, don't strain!

> 6.  My balance is poor; I have trouble in the rain, going down steps
> sometimes, and it is extremely difficult for me to walk on ice.
get a scooter or powerchair.
Move somwhere where there is no ice?

> 8.  I've been told I pick things up abnormally, by using my index and
middle
> fingers along with my thumb, instead of just my index finger and thumb.

Welcome to the club, I also pick up things like this/

> 10. I also have some trouble typing.

los of so called normal folks have trouble typing.

> 11. I had great difficulty playing sports and learning how to drive a car.

so did my older sister, and she was clumsy and has no depth perception.
from what my nephew tells me, sis has been in as many car accidents as I
have.

 14. Exercise is difficult for me because I=E2=80=99m pushing my legs
against
> resistance and they are stiff.

you might look into feldenkrais method body work, which helps relax us and
train us to move in easier ways. this also goes for your sitting posture.
in the mean time do water exercise that doesn't hurt!  feldenkrais.com will
have more info.

> Is it appropriate to post a message like this to the list and ask for
> feedback?  Or is that going into too much detail about what's on my mind?

yes, it's appropiate.