C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 2005 19:59:34 -0400
That's a good point, Bobby, as the only interaction I had with other
disabled people were at school.  My parents raised me to be
independent, and I think they saw the schools for people with
disabilities at the time as not fostering independence so they sent
me to regular schools after I left elementary school.  My mother,
particularly, felt that other parents tended to treat their children
as babies, not as maturing kids.  (which as I recall, wasn't too far
off in a lot of cases)

I think it's absolutely vital for disabled children to go to school
with able-bodied kids and learn to interact with everyone, not just
other disabled people.  Otherwise how will they learn to function
well at school or work?

Kat