From:
richabec <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 20:14:20 -0500

My original post was as follows:

I like to use sweet dairy whey for baking.  I have found 3 companies that
sell this product:  Bob's Red Mill,  NOW, and Bulkfoods.com.  Each of these
three companies has responded in the same way to my questions about gluten -
none of them have gluten added, but they all advise that there is a risk for
cross-contamination and therefore don't recommend them for celiacs.

Has anyone out there had a reaction to these brands?  Or does anyone use
them regularly with no sign of trouble?

Does anyone know of a brand that is actually gluten free?

I haven't noticed a problem when I have used Bob's, but I won't really know
until I have another blood test if I am getting gluten.

Thank you for any information you might have about dairy whey!

Becky

I didn't get many responses on this product.  The ones I did hear from
tended to be of the opinion that these companies are giving CYA statements
and that the whey is probably o.k.

I heard from one person that recommended using NOW  because they process
less flour and might have smaller risk of contamination than either Bob's or
Bulkfoods.com.

One person uses Bob's Oats safely and felt that Bob's is a reliable company
with good practices for cleaning their production lines.

One uses Champion Nutrition Pure whey for boosting protein content in shakes
- not for baking as the sweet dairy whey is used.

One suggested wheylow.  This product is actually a sweetener that will soon
be available in stores as an alternative to sugar and Splenda, etc.

One suggested Delphiforums support group.  I have checked there and heard
from someone who has used both NOW and Bulkfoods successfully.

I guess this is just one more case where we have to make a decision on where
we draw the line of caution!  It would be nice if everything were in clear
cut black/white answers - but we don't always have that luxury!  However, I
did not hear from anyone who has had a bad experience or reaction to any of
these brands.

Thanks to all of you who shared your experiences with me!
Have a great day!

Becky