C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jul 2005 11:17:37 +0100
On Saturday 09 Jul 2005 06:39, Kathy wrote:
> you can't get to sleep and so end up at your laptop at 1:30 am, doing weird
> searches on ebay.  I did a search for 'disabled' and came up with the usual
> vintage postage stamps, placards, etc., but a couple of entries got me
> riled up.  One I saw (and I'm sure there are more) was one in which someone
> seems to be selling a handicapped license plate that's still valid.  I
> don't know about other states but I can say that here in NC it's very much
> illegal.
>
> But the one that really dismayed and angered me was a listing for a woman
> in BC who is selling advertising space on her body - she says that people
> stare at her and her handicapped daughter whilst they go out for walks so
> why not use that for advertising?  I was appalled but I do feel sorry for
> her as it seems she doesn't get enough money from the government to take
> care of her daughter.   But doesn't Canada have a social welfare system for
> taking care of disabled people?  So I'm a wee bit skeptical, to say the
> least!  Here's the URL:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=102333&item=55948861
>27&rd=1
>
> (You may need to copy and paste it into your browser for it to work)
>

> Now having got that off my chest and calmed down, I'm going to grab a good
> book and go read in bed!
>
> Kat

Hi Kat,

Just someone trying to make some money!! In fact its quite cleverly worded:-

"I will display your business in our daily routine walks (3 hours minimum)."

So for your $100 she will display your business logo (not any old whacko
message) for at least 3hrs in total. She's hoping you'd get the impression
this is 3 hours per day.

"I am also prepared to walk (464) for the right bidder."

Not a clue what this means!! Is it 4 hrs in the morning, 6 hrs in the
afternoon, and 4 hrs at night - that's a lot of fresh air!! Or is it some
Canadian tax exempt status. Or is it a position in the kama-sutra!!!

"Government of BC will garnish meager income for not paying medical premium
and penalties are adding."

Note that it is the Gov of BC which will garnish a "meager income", so I
assume this means she's not going to declare the full 100 bucks for tax!!

"I want to continue to give daughter excellent 24 hour quality care."

I live with my daughter and we don't have a car (go for lots of walks!!).

Don't let it rile you Kat. I can't see a "victim" here - except perhaps anyone
who bids the $100.

Cheers

Deri