C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 9 Jul 2005 08:45:27 -0400
I was seeing two victims here, the poor sucker who'd bid for the advert and
the disabled daughter. That is, *if* the daughter is disabled - the snaps
were so grainy I couldn't tell if it were all genuine.  But this is not the
only ebay seller selling adverts on body parts, to say the least!

The handicapped plate issue really burns me up as here in NC it seems that
people are abusing the system - doctors are signing the verifcation forms
even if the person doesn't have a mobility disability and a lot of people
apparently are using tags issued to friends or relatives.  It's become an
issue at work that HR can't do anything about because it's against ADA regs
to question the validity of the tags or plates.  I don't normally snipe at a
person who has a tag hanging from their rearview mirror but when I see a
carpenter saunter out to his truck which has a tag and easily pull out a
heavy box of tools and carry it rapidly linto the building without any effort
and there's a woman struggling to walk with her cane from a further parking
space and it's raining, I get mad.  But again, there was nothing my firm
could do about it.  I've heard that the state plans to start keeping stats on
the doctors who fill out the forms but honestly, I don't know what can be
done.

Kat