C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 9 Jul 2005 01:39:31 -0400
you can't get to sleep and so end up at your laptop at 1:30 am, doing weird
searches on ebay.  I did a search for 'disabled' and came up with the usual
vintage postage stamps, placards, etc., but a couple of entries got me riled
up.  One I saw (and I'm sure there are more) was one in which someone seems
to be selling a handicapped license plate that's still valid.  I don't know
about other states but I can say that here in NC it's very much illegal.

But the one that really dismayed and angered me was a listing for a woman in
BC who is selling advertising space on her body - she says that people stare
at her and her handicapped daughter whilst they go out for walks so why not
use that for advertising?  I was appalled but I do feel sorry for her as it
seems she doesn't get enough money from the government to take care of her
daughter.   But doesn't Canada have a social welfare system for taking care
of disabled people?  So I'm a wee bit skeptical, to say the least!  Here's
the URL:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=102333&item=5594886127&rd=1

(You may need to copy and paste it into your browser for it to work)

Now having got that off my chest and calmed down, I'm going to grab a good
book and go read in bed!

Kat