From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2005 13:45:21 -0500
Honestly,  the TS-2000 is a great pick, that is 12 volts, or 13.8 to be
exact. If you don't use the chimney for anything then you can use that I'd
think, another option though you're in an earthquake zone, but I'll put this
out to help others is, a roof tower, but not bolted to a roof, just set up
there with sand bags holding it upright, I wouldn't do that in an earthquake
zone, but that does work great, high winds might be a problem for a setup
like that too but I know people who do it.  Anyway,  any HF radio you'd want
is about 100 watts, and any antenna tuner can handle that just about, the
built ones especially, you don't have to worry about that and if you get an
external tuner, you can get them rated at different rates. I can't think of
anyone who's killed a tuner at 100 watts unless he was really doing
something he shouldn't have like using a tuner rated at 50 watts and I don't
know where that person got it, was probably a no name to begin with. You can
always adjust the power on HF radios though, usually from 5 up to 100 in 5
watt steps, if not even finer then that of you can always adjust them for an
amplifier. Most amps don't like to be driven with more then 80 watts, but
all HF radios output power can be adjusted so you're all set there.