From:
Don Tarbet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:03:12 -0500
Phil,

Actually, I think the nuke would wipe out cell phone most quickly.  In
Maine, also, we have many locations where cell phones work poorly or not at
all.  Cell phones were pretty useless during a major ice storm a few years
ago, but ham radio was not.  We use whatever we can to get the job
done.  Or ARES trailer has HF, VHF, UHF, CB, FRS and cell phone.  And we
have used runners when all else failed.  We haven't tried smoke signals or
pounding rocks together, but that might come next.

I rather doubt ham radio is going to go away any time soon.  Its nature may
change, but we are much more flexible and much less vulnerable than most of
the phone options.  That may not be true in 10 or 15 years.  Check with me
then.

Yes, we are interested in money.  I'm just putting out our ARES newsletter
in which we ask people to pay their dues.  Our club just collected money to
buy a new furnace.  Yes, we need money, but we also need to remember our
role -- and our entertainment -- as communicators.  And that requires
precision.

Dead serious?  Well, I've rarely been dead serious for more than a few
minutes at a time.  I just like to tell my jokes in a language I'm sure my
listeners can understand.

73
Don