Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:02:01 -0600

BUddy wrote,
   >I agree nearly completely, Richard, but nothing wrong with very best
   >regards (or vy 73 in morse); of course, best of best regards is a
   >bit redundant but still OK I guess, although why someone would want
   >only second-best best regards is beyond me. Now what about this,
   >though? Back when I first got my ticket, occasionally you'd hear
   >OM's wishing YL's (or vice versa) 161, which would be 73+88, but
   >that seemed to die off real quick...LOL
dIg it!  Maybe they were wanting to be seen as a little continental.
tHe old kiss on the cheek greeting.

I remember a series of code learning tapes that the Iowa library for
the blind had back in the two track cassette book days.  tHe
instructor was explaining pro signs and explained 73 and then for 88
gave the meaning and said "not used between members of the same
gender, I hope."

i've been told there were other combinations used among old landline
telegraphers etc. that have fallen into disuse, 33 comes to mind but
can't remember the meaning.

THe 73 thing doesn't get me real bad, just like to point out to newer
hams its correct usage from the old telegraph days.  gotta know where
ya been to know where you're going etc. etc.  tHe pro words thing
however I like to encourage people to learn the correct usage of them
so when they're operating formal nets they don't commit a real faux
pas.

73 de nf5b

Richard Webb

Electric Spider Productions

--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania