Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 16:33:26 -0600

Kevin wrote,
   >I think a lot depends on how corrections are made.  I cringe
   >whenever I hear someone eat another ham's lunch for saying
   >something that sounds like it's right out of CB or an old war movie
   >as in some of the things we've been chatting about today.  I think
   >corrections can be made diplomatically even going as far as taking
   >the new ham off frequency if possible or a simple phone call to say
   >"we enjoy having you on the repeater but let me put a bug in your
   >ear about how things are usually done in ham radio."  We can teach
   >without humiliating and that should be our goal as a community who
   >says it welcomes new members.
WHich is the way I always try to do things, especially working with
folks on hf nets such as traffic nets, the maritime mobile service net
etc.  Since I work out of my home I monitor and participate in these
nets as a net control and a net manager for two traffic nets.

THe other day I was running a list of check-ins on 14.300 (THe
Maritime Mobile service net) when a fellow called "contact" in the
middle of my list.  I told station calling contact to call the station
he heard.  HE then said he just wanted a signal report.  I explained
to him in a friendly way that saying contact on such a network bumps
you to the head of the line to contact a station you heard before he
or she left the frequency or otherwise got away.  I also explained
that shouting the word contact just to jump the line was rude, similar
to cutting in line at the checkout line at the supermarket.  I also
then explained same goes for re-check on such networks as re-check
signifies you wanted to list additional traffic or re-establish
contact with your lost station.

ON busy nets etc. I'm a stickler for procedure and protocol, but in a
casual ragchew whatever floats your boat.

That being said I've got an old antique two meter rig on the j pole on
the roof and it has no tone board.  I don't hang on any of the two
meter machines here in the NEw ORleans area as none of them except
147.06 are accessible to a station in center city using a portable.
I don't hang on 147.06 because it sounds too much like CB.  sO much so
in fact that some of us have started calling it radio free redneck.
Btw this is complete with true lids such as you'll find on eleven
meters, the jammers and troublemakers included.  My main hang here in
the city is a 70 centimeter machine with echolink capability located
on a medical center building which has excellent coverage throughout
the metro area.  ON that machine we try to show newcomers by example
the right way to operate and make friends with them.  Friends can do a
better job of elmering than  the old grouch approach any day of the
week.

Richard Webb

Electric Spider Productions

--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania