From:
Amy Blumenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amy Blumenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:52:32 -0500

Philadelphians love their city and love to share it with others. Thanks to the many responders who've taught me that celiacs can eat well at a variety of places there. In addition to national chains like Outback Steakhouse and P.F. Chang's, these were the recommendations and helpful comments I received:

Mr. Ritts gluten free bakery (http://mrritts.com/) at 5th and Passyunk. Mr. Ritts is hard to get to but well worth the trip; speak to Paul, he's wonderful. Also, the Dietary Shoppe (health foods, 99% gluten free) on Ridge (http://dietaryshoppe.com/searching.asp?cat=Gluten+Free). The Whole Foods market at 10th and South has just opened a Gluten-Free Bakehouse. Trader Joe's is at 23rd and Market.

Django, a four-star BYOB restaurant on 4th Street between South and Lombard.  Call right away, if you want to get in. (closed between Christmas and New Year's) 215-922-7151

Lolita, a new Mexican restaurant on 13th between Walnut and Chestnut has only one non-gluten-free item on the menu.

Matyson http://www.matyson.com/
Call in advance because they book up early.  They are BYO.  The chef and staff are terrific.  I recommend the chicken with a nice sauce over mashed and the lobster potato skins.  Most of their dishes are GF or can be modified.  If they have their truffle french fries don't miss them.  You can call in advance and it's possible they will make a special GF dessert but if not they have good ice cream.

Bliss on Broad Street recently catered a fund-raiser for The National Foundation for Celiac Awareness

Chef Oscar of Fitzwater Cafe  at 7th and Fitzwater will start a new pot of water and cook your g/f pasta with his famous Bolognaise sauce if you arrange it in advance. For dessert, order the flan.

In West Philadelphia, near University of Penn, eat at RX. They cook just about everything on the premises and have lots of things that are either naturally GF or that they can accommodate. If you want wine you will have to bring your own bottle. The food is good and interesting. They sometimes even have flourless cakes that are great.

Reading Terminal Market (12th and Market) is fun.  Lots of good Thai and Mexican lunch food and you can buy those little Italian almond paste cookies (no flour)

Maggiano's will cook your own pasta if you let them know in advance.

Marigold dining room - http://ae.philly.com/entertainment/ui/philly/restaurant.html?id=69118&reviewId=16701&1c
Wonderful innovative new American.  They greeted a celiac diner with a preprinted GF menu. The portions are on the small side but everything was excellent.

Pasion - high end South American.  Good but expensive. http://philadelphia.citysearch.com/profile/8946430/philadelphia_pa/pasion.html?cslink=roundup_name_cust&ulink=roundup__roundupentity1-9_1__0_profile_2_1

Tre Scalini - 215-551-3870 really fabulous Italian. BYO  We have eaten there many times and they are very accommodating.  Get the mushrooms with proscuitto or caesar salad for apps and any veal or fish dish for an entree.  They are also byo.

Radicchio -  215-627-6850
Simply great Italian.  BYO There are lots of choices on the menu for GF dining.  It can get very noisy however.  Get the homemade Gelato for dessert.

Zorbas - 215-978-5990
Very casual greek byo.  Many GF menu items.  not fancy food tho...just good homestyle food.

Azafran - 215-928-4019 - very casual Latin American cuisine.  BYO Many GF items on menu and the staff is very helpful.

Capagiro gelato - simply the best outside of Italy.  http://www.capogirogelato.com/
Most flavors are GF except for the obvious with cookie or whisky etc.

The Palm - great steaks, expensive.

Tequilas restaurant - http://www.tequilasphilly.com/
Great mexican food, quite a few GF choices, their chips are GF, and the margaritas are pretty darned good too.

There's a HUGE support group which lists other resources on its website: http://www.philaceliacgroup.netfirms.com/. The website has a listing of celiac-friendly area restaurants and reviews of each restaurant.

Thanks to all who responded. I'm very excited about making this trip with our daughter. To everyone else, start planning your trip to Philadelphia!

Amy