C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:52:58 EDT
Most of you know I work at a Library for the Blind and Physically
Handicapped.  It has other names per each state like Talking Books  Library.  I'm a
shipping clerk and that is basically I'm one of those who  physically handles the
talking books and braille volumes that are sent out to  you and processes
those that are returned.

The problem I have is one person who is able bodied flies through the work
quota in a quarter of the time it takes me to finish the same amount of  work.
He is saying that I'm moving too slow and I shouldn't do anything  extra.
I'm usually given 4 or 5 things to do no one else wants to do or  can't figure
out how to do them without complaining.  When I walk through  that door, I'm
there for the job.  I put effort in what I do.  My  supervisors never had a
problem in what I do.

I've been at full time for almost a year and now my arm is starting to  hurt.
  I move a little slower so I don't aggravate my arm.  This  person who is
complaining about my speed is one of those who has no moral  substance or
compassion.  You know the type who will drive around a person  in a wheelchair
crossing the street and say "Get out of my way!"  with a  bad attitude about it.
There is much worse with profanity too.

My boss gave me an opportunity to work in this department.  She is the  only
one who hired the most disabled employees in the Cleveland library  system.
If she didn't hire me, I would never got as far as I have or  met all of you
online.  I would've been still on SSI and in a one bedroom  apartment.

How would you handle a moron(stronger word intended) like this one?   Those
in work environments have to have had idiots like this before.