From:
Helen Hecker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Helen Hecker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:02:53 -0700

I recently contacted Eden Foods who claim their (wheat-free) tamari is gluten-free.  I had encountered a problem  last year when contacting Goldmine Natural foods regarding  Ohsawa wheat-free tamari. They contacted the supplier in Japan.  It was discovered that barley flour is thrown on the fermenting koji.  This is also the case for many tamari, soy sauces  and misos.  Japan supplies many U.S companies.   If you have had a reaction to any of the preceding,  this may be why.  Below is the response I got today from Eden foods  regarding their tamari  and misos.
Earlier this year I talked to South River about their misos.  They make them in the USA  and do not use barley flour.  All their misos are supposed to be gluten free EXCEPT the 3 obvious barley misos.     Helen RN

Thank you for contacting Eden Foods and your interest in Eden products.

I have spoken with Pam Stepka, Purchasing Department, concerning the Eden Tamari. She did say that this product is processed with barley flour, but when tested for gluten it showed that it was a non gluten product.. The imported tamari has alcohol derived from molasses. The domestic tamari alcohol content is derived from corn. The tamari is a pasteurized product.

Eden Misos are not a gluten free product and barley flour is also used in the fermentation. If you should have any further questions, please contact Customer Service.

Sincerely,

Sandra K Baker
Customer Service
Eden Foods