From:
Marilyn Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marilyn Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:02:35 -0800

This list serve is such a great resource. Thanks to everyone who
responded to my search for a gf source of fiber for use in dieting. \
Here are the responses I received (no guarantee, of course, that this
information is medically accurate.):

-------------------------------------

I use ground flax seed.  Hope that helps.

-------------------------------------

I take one called acacia.  I ordered it from helpwithibs.com
I take it for ibs, but it works well and I know I have lost weight.

-------------------------------------

Citrucel is gluten free.

-------------------------------------

I like FiberCon.  You take two tablets and a full glass of water.
Last time I checked it was GF.

-------------------------------------

We use InstaFIBER  made from gluten-free maltodextrin from cornstarch.
It contains 3 grams of fiber in one tsp and completely dissolves in
water. Made by Health Summit, Mission Hills, CA  91346-9606

telephone 1-888-532-8787

I order it from my local food coop, but it may be available from them
directly.

-------------------------------------

Fibercon is GF

-------------------------------------

I was just at a friend of mine's yesterday who said she had lost weight
eating hemp hearts.   I had NEVER heard of them.   If you look it up on
the web, there is information about them.  It even says it's gluten
free. I proved that true (as I'm quite a sensitive celiac).  She offered
me some plain (they are small seed-like sized bits and they taste
nutty). I liked the taste.  Then what she did is put a couple of
spoonfuls in plain yogurt and she added some sweetner (she suggested
stevia has good fibre content too - but she was out of that) - it was
like dessert - like pudding. Yummy.  She says it's increased her energy
(she has 4 kids) and she's lost some weight already.She said the
increased energy keeps you away from the fridge. Plus from what I read
about them, it's protein so that keeps your blood levels constant more
than a carb and that reduces cravings for sweets and the like.  I'm
going to try and get my hands on some and see because I have at least 10
- 20 extra pounds I'd like to lose.

-------------------------------------

magnewium citrate..start with 1 before bedtime and build to 3

-------------------------------------

Try Benefiber.  My husband is celiac, Type 1 Diabetic (insulin pump),
and was recently diagnosed with Diverticulosis.  He too needs fiber in
his diet, but what?  The nutritionist suggester Benefiber (a tasteless
powder form) - 2 tbls. twice a day.  Hope this helps

-------------------------------------

How coincidental you should ask about GF fiber supplements at this time.
I just attended our local CSA support group meeting yesterday, and the
guest speaker was a Nutritionist (who is also a Celiac).  She recommends
BeneFiber.  It doesn't get thick, is flavorless, and you can add it to
any beverage.  Personally, I increase my fiber with more fruits and
vegetables.  Best of luck to you.

-------------------------------------

I take FiberCon and have for many years now with no problems. It's just
2 pills with 8 oz of water, and you can take it whenever.

-------------------------------------

Here is one I use:

FiberSmart caps
Has Fax, Acidophilos, FOS, L-Glutamine
Renew Life Formula
Clearwater Florida 33765
1-800-830-4778
www.renelife.com
No yeast,wheat,corn,rye,soy,gluten,salt,dairy,animal
products,binders,fillers, or artificial ingredients.

-------------------------------------

i believe metamucil( psyllium husks) and benefiber(guar gum) are both
gf.

-------------------------------------

Probably the best fiber supplement you can take is flax.
Flax powder (or flax meal) is totally tasteless, so you can
add it to all your foods-- cereal, stews, salad dressings, stuffed
peppers, meatloaf, marinades -- everything! The recommended amount is 3
Tbsp. of flax per day. Flax has 75 times more fiber than any other
plant. 1/4 cup of flax is the equivalent of 60 cups of fresh broccoli!
And flax is all natural and gluten-free.

Good luck!

-------------------------------------

I believe you can buy rice bran - possibly at a health food store..

-------------------------------------

Fiber Con tablets and Citracel are both GF.

I forgot to mention that one of the best fiber additives is ground flax
seed.  Very nutritious also.

Metamucil.

Hi - Metamucil capsules (not the powder or biscuits) are gf.

try metamucil, it is GF