Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:49:20 EST

Thanks to those who responded--this list and its members are a tremendous
help!  Thanks especially to the young lady with Celiac from Miami at Ohio who
provided a trendous amount of info--enough to make my trip less stressful!
Sincerely,
Anjel in NY

The local grocery store here is Kroger. They do have a small health food
section where I buy Amy's frozen meals, cereals, rice cakes...nothing too
exciting. Oxford also has a small
health food store. I forget the name of the street that it is on but I am
sure the receptionist at your hotel will be able to tell you. As far as
restaurants go, I only feel comfortable eating at 3 of them. Seeing that
it is a college town there are a lot of fast food chains, as you know
these are not often Celiac friendly. When I go out to eat I go to Kona,
High Street grill (both located on High Street which is the street running
right through uptown)or Dipola's (located a bloc of High Street on Main
Street). At Kona I order the smashed salmon salad (salmon, mashed potatoes
over spinach w/ a mango chutney). I tell the waitress I am allergic to
wheat so not to put bread on my plate. I am too hesitant to order anything
else off the menu there. Next, High Street Grill has a lot of meat and
potato options which is always a safe way to go. If you go there and order
steak, tell your server not to put the au jus sauce on your meal. It is
from a canned stock and I got pretty sick off of it once. Finally, Dipalos
also has many cuts of beef. I usually get the broiled shrimp scampi but
substitute the pasta for mashed potatoes. It is delicious. Being in the
area for 5 days, I would suggest going to PF Chang's (40 minute drive) or
Outback Steak House (25 minute drive). Both of these restaurants have GF
menus.
Try going to www.goodhealthpublishing.com for a list of 59 national/regional
restaurants and their lists of gluten/wheat free items. There's also a
gluten free dining card that can be presented to restaurant personnel to
ease the ordering process.

Hi:  Go to http://www.outback.com/ , http://www.carrabbas.com/ ,
http://www.bonefishgrill.com/ .
These are all owned by Outback Steakhouse and have gluten free menus and
location maps on their web sites.  I have eaten at all of them with no adverse
effects.  Print a copy of the menu, take it with you, and ------ASK FOR THE
MANAGER-------.  Perhaps there will be one near where you will be.  Good luck.
Phyllis
My sister lives in Covington, just south of Cinci.  She
buys some gf foods at Krogers (a local supermarket).  When I was there last
we went to a big health food supermarket West of Cinci just off of 275.
They have tons of gf foods.  It's called Jungle Jims.
http://www.junglejims.com/

If you have the time, you could take the loooong way to Oxford and drive 275
(West/North) from the airport to 27 North.  You could then take a side trip
to Jungle Jims on your way there.
Cincinnati - PF Chang's, Bone Fish Grill, Carraba's, Encore, Moton's,
Outback, Mama Vita's, Graeter's Ice Cream

Stores - Kroger, Wild Oats, Jungle Jim's