From:
Eliot Glick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 16:05:42 -0500
Lynn:

Pemmican is dehydrated beef of bufallo etc., but made into "muffins" in
a specific way.  Here's Ray Audette's version (correct me if I'm wrong!)

You cut a lean roast, say an eye of round, into thin slices (half-frozen
works best), first removing any obvious fatty areas.  Place these slices
(some will look like strips) in your dehydrator for, what 8-12 hours
depending on your meat and dehydrator.  Then take the dehydrated meat
and grind it up bit by bit in your cuisinart, not to coarse but not too
fine either.

Obtain fat from a grass-fed cow (apparently bufallo fat just isn't as
good), a few pounds of it to be sure, and, after cutting it into smaller
pieces, heat it in a cast-iron skillet, letting it come to a boil and
then simmering on a low boil for a half hour or so, or until the liquid
fat has seperated out from the fatty pieces that are now left,
considerably reduced in size.  Now strain out the liquid through a very
fine seive and/or cheesecloth into a pyrex bowl, and let it cool just a
bit.

In a new big bowl, you've got your ground dried meat.  Now add very warm
(almost hot) liquid fat bit by bit while stirring.  You don't want to
add too much, just enough that the all the meat has nicely absorbed it
in -- but not more.  Now add a handful or two of dried cranberries (not
much -- you don't want sweet pemmican -- the berries are just for added
flavour)  or fresh blueberries (if you'll be eating it soon, or freezing
it) and stir it all up.   Dole it out into mini-muffin or regular size
muffin pans and let it cool.  Voila! Pemmican!

According to Mr Audette, it's the only known food that can keep a
working human being healthy and thriving indefinitely.  I believe it.
Great for camping, lunch boxes, or just a quick meal on the go: it's the
ultimate fast food -- paleo style!

Eliot