Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:29:52 -0400

I am a 35 yo recently diagnosed celiac (2 months ago). My diagnosis came about
following a dramatic hospitalization in May after I developed pneummoccal
sepsis. Long story short, I was on a ventilator in the ICU for 2 weeks, I lost
20lbs, a 23 week old fetus and required kidney dialysis over my entire
hosptial stay of a little under 4 weeks.

Following these events I have been seeing a immunologist to investigate why my
response to the pneummoccal bacteria was so poor; I was also recieved a
pneommovax (sp?) pneummoccal vaccine.

Last friday, I found out from my immunologist that despite vaccination, my
pneummoccal response was still weak and that she suspected the a confirmed
ill-functioning spleen was the likely culprit. This news came merely hours
before my husband and I rushed to the hospital once again with symptoms
similar to those I experienced in May. The end result being another stay in
the ICU, a pneumonia on my lung and a diagnosis of probable pneummoccal
sepsis.

After scaring ourselves with research on the internet, my immunologist tried
to assure me yesterday that she believed that the functional damage to my
spleen (which we know to look normal on a body scan) was likely caused by my
celiac disease.

Has anyone heard of, or experienced, this before? Do you know whether the
damage may be reversible on a GF diet?

I guess I am am looking for some reassurance, thanks in advance

Heather