From:
Aimee Rye <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aimee Rye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:58:21 -0500

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back with this.  Thanks to
all of you who replied.  There were so many of you!  And the
information was so helpful.  I've included some of the responses
below.

The views were mixed.  A few people received negative opinions from
Doctors and/or articles on the matter stating that these types of
test were unreliable.  Many had positive opinions from their own
personal experiences.  I would like to add that I have done a blood
test like this once before and also had a positive experience.  After
eliminating the foods that were suspect on my tests, my stomach
problems pretty much disappeared and I also started losing weight.
I'm not a skinny person, so this was an added bonus for me.

There are apparently two main types of lab tests or companies that do
these tests.  They are Enterolabs (
http://<http://www.enterolab.com>www.enterolab.com  ) and York
(<http://www.yorkallergyusa.com/> http://www.yorkallergyusa.com/ ).
Some had the lab tests done through other labs, but I imagine the
tests were probably the same.  You can also do the FED or food
elimination test that does not require any kind of lab testing.  This
is done by the process of elimination of suspect foods and then
gradual reintroduction of those foods one at a time.  If you do it
right this works well for and costs you nothing at all.  However, I
personally found that I lack the patience, perception and dedication
to make this a successful test for myself.

Here are some of the responses I received regarding home food
intolerance testing.

   ***************************

I think what is commonly called the intolerance test for foods is
also called a test for delayed food allergies.  It measures a
different antibody than the typical allergy tests but it doesn't tell
you what foods you can't digest or have other non-allergy responses
to.  Typical allergy tests look for IgE concentrations and the
intolerance tests look for IgG concentrations.

My daughter has had the IgG tests done through Meridian Valley
Laboratory in Renton WA (we did them through a local naturopath - I
can give you their address if you are interested).  They found that
she had a high level of reaction to all casein products.  We cut out
milk and other milk products and she seemed to do a bit better (not
great, but it also took a long time to notice anything).  Recently we
had her blood tested for inhalant allergens and the lab mistakenly
did the food allergy tests again.  The results were similar except
that it showed that her reactions to cheese were now in the moderate
range and her reactions to goat's milk were in the high range of
insignificant.  The naturopath said it is not uncommon for these
levels to drop somewhat after removing the allergen from her diet.

By the way, our celiac daughter showed no significant IgG reactions
to wheat, barley, gliadin, or gluten.

Jackie in AZ

   ***************************

I don't know of a home test, but my daughter was tested
through Immuno Labs in Ft. Lauderdale, and it helped us so much find
what was bothering her.  Our doctor gave us a kit to take to a local
lab who drew her blood, then Fed Exed it to Immuno Labs in Ft.
Lauderdale. Have you heard of Great Plains Laboratory?  You can go to
their web site and order a test kit.  A doctor has to sign the order,
then you take it to a lab and they draw blood.  Your blood is then
Fed Exed to Great Plains lab.  They send the results back to you.  I
am about to do this with my younger daughter also.  These are the
only two labs I know of that do it so far.

Kathy Laude
Mission Viejo, CA

   ***************************

If you're referring to Enterolabs or York, I've done both and found the
results to be accurate.

--s

   ***************************

The two home tests that I am familiar with are
<http://www.enterolab.com>www.enterolab.com This lab tests for gluten
sensitivity, yeast, egg, dairy sensitivity through stool. It also
does gene testing for CD with a mouth swab. I feel that this is a
very sensitive test for picking up gluten sensitivity and the other
food intolerances. I have used this lab and feel that their results
were "right on"

<http://www.yorkallergyusa.com/>http://www.yorkallergyusa.com/  does
IgG testing for food intolerances. They have a 113 food panel and
some smaller ones too. They do some other tests too. I have used this
lab recently and they confirmed what I suspected about yeast. I was
also happy to know that I only had a few foods on the avoid list.
Anne

   ***************************

<http://www.yorkallergyusa.com>www.yorkallergyusa.com

We have done this testing....and recommend it.

Kate (gfcf manager of 7)

   ***************************

The only home test I did was a Food Elimination Diet (FED).  It
turned out to be more useful, and cheaper than any food intolerance
test on the market.  FED was more reliable and had lasting results.
I was, and am still pleased.

Good luck!
Victoria

   ***************************

Robin Burdette
Florida, USA

The easiest home test has been outlined in several books I've read and by
Doctors I've had.  I can look for the exact sources and send.

The simple home approach is to stop eating one type of food, for 3 to 4 day
(ideal would be 2 weeks), then try that food, and wait to check out
immediate reaction and delayed reaction.

If you find it hard to find the problem, starting a rotation diet, which is
eating by food groups, you would need to learn and have a listing of foods
and which family they are with, so every four days you can eat from that
group (several groups a day) but then you don't eat from those groups for
another four days.

This approach can lessen your reactions to foods.  Just by not exposing your
body daily to say potatoes you may find you no long have heart burn after
your French fries, or any such thing.  It does take some new skills just as
a gluten free diet makes you change your life.

I'll pull out the books tomorrow and send the info.

Robin in Florida

--
Aimee Rye
LBJ School of Public Affairs