From:
La Listener <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 2004 09:31:33 -0500

All,

Jerry recently brought up a pondery about grain fed beef possibly having
gluten.  I found this fascinating as I was just thinking about writing to
this list about this very topic.  The thing that inspired me to write was a
talk with my pharmacist.  I was asking if Nystatin was GF (it is) and they
informed me that the gelatin capsules I also requested (not for the Nystatin
as I take this in power form to swish it in my mouth first) had beef
components in them.  I thought that was odd that I asked about wheat in
Nystatin, was impressed that they came back saying that there was no gluten
in the drug, and then they went on to talk about the beef in the gelatin
capsules.  I vaguely asked if they were saying that because beef are grain
fed and the pharmacy said that yes that was the reason that they were
warning me.  I found that fascinating.

This led me to question whether eating things that are grain fed are safe
for CD people.  I.E. the same question Jerry asked.  It seemed unusual that
the muscle meat of grain fed animals would have grain based gluten.

But I also started thinking about things like sausage where the casing that
the meat is stuffed into is made from the intestines of animals.  It seemed
more probable for me that these intestine products could have some residual
gluten contaminates in them.

I also wondered how many of us avoid kissing our significant other right
after they have eaten gluten foods.  Talk about a place of contamination!

I really do not need responses to these ponderies.  I was just posting them
for general thoughts without comment.

Nancy