From:
Ellie/George <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:54:34 -0400

These are the responses I received when I asked about juicers.
Now next Question:   Are there any experiences or opinions about Vita mix
out there.  I just got their add in the mail.  The grain grinding option is
attractive ... but I really don't bother with baked goods much anymore.
Ellie

I believe you get what you pay for.  I decided since I was serious about
juicing that I should get a very good one.  I decided on a Beville.  I did a
lot of research on the internet and it's considered one of the best.  I paid
with shipping about $115.  It's very easy to clean, dw safe, although I
don't usually do that because I need the room for other dishes.  The other
one I considered was Jack LaLane, but decided on the Beville because of the
price..

I bought a Vitamix Super 5000. It is expensive, but is a great machine. I
make home made sorbet in it, fruit smoothies, almond milk, and have even
used it to make hot soup. It is also easy to clean. It came with a recipe
book and a video.

If you are serious about juicing, consider buying a more expensive model.  I
am very happy with my Omega Juicer which I purchased online.  I had two
previous juicers, the first one for $29, the second around $49.  They both
bit the dust, the first in about 2 weeks and after getting replacement parts
it lasted another month or two.  The next was also a few months.  The Omega
has a 10 year guarantee, is much easier to clean and I have had it about 5
years.  There are even better models out there now, that are even easier to
clean.  The most important factor is that the Omega really gets all the
juice out of the vegetables and fruits.  I compared it with "The Juicer" a
television advertisement well known brand that my brother had in California
that was about the same price as my Omega.  It got about 1/3 less juice from
the same number of vegetables as mine.  In the long run it saves you so much
money in food that will make up the difference in the price of a good one
vs. an inferior cheap one.  When I went for a colonoscopy, after juicing for
a year, they said that my colon was exceptionally clean (I am 66 years old).
Now, I have suffered with constipation problems all my life so I thought
that there would be diveritculosus  (sp) and such, so I was surprised.  My
doctor who recommended the juicer said that it was juicing that makes the
difference.  I stopped juicing about a year ago, and now I have all sorts of
intestinal problems GERD, gastritis, etc.  Hummm?.  Perhaps I should see the
writing on the wall and go back to serious juicing.  Thanks for reminding me
of the simple natural ways to get better health.  How could I have
forgotten?

I have been juicing vegetables for several years, and I use the Omega
Juicer recommended on mercola.com.  I love it.  I do have to scrub one
part with a brush that came with it for this purpose.  It seemed like a
big pain at first, but once I got used to it, it became quick and easy.
The Omega Juicer cost about $200 from mercola.com.  Dr. Mercola
recommends that everybody juice vegetables daily so he has reviewed
juicers at all price ranges including inexpensive ones for beginners
(something like $40 to $50).  He discusses the pros and cons of
different machines on his website so I think that would be a good place
to begin.

We live in Australia and have experience with two brands of juicers.
Both brands should be the same in the US or Canada, I would imagine
though.

We first had a Breville - which was a "monster", very awkward and bulky
(we went for the bigger model at a low price here). It was a chore to
clean it and, due to size required more storage space.
After about a month we gave up on it and bought a Panasonic juicer.
We went for Panasonic next, as we have other Panasonic items like TV,
VCR and Stereo system - which never give any trouble.

For us the Panasonic juicer was the best choice we could have made.
I doubt if it is a good idea to put any juicer or parts thereof into a
dishwasher.
It cleans easily, as it is taken apart or assembled in a flash. Most of
it you can rinse under a tap, the actual screen where the pulp and the
juice gets separated by centrifugal force needs some light brushing to
get the fibre bits out of the screen. But all that is done in a couple
of minutes.

The footprint is also small.

We mainly use it on celery stalks, carrots and cucumber (this was the
mix recommended by the naturopath) and a bit of fennel, mainly for the
taste.

We've had the Panasonic juicer about a year now and so far it hasn't
given any trouble.

Of course it can be used to extract juice from a lot more fruit and
vegetables and quite a few ideas are in the accompanying booklet.

Greetings from Australia,