From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 10:19:56 -0400
There has been some discussion on the various lists about Ray
Peat's articles, at www.efn.ort/~raypeat/nutri.html, concerning
fats and toxicity.  This topic is the more interesting insofar as
Peat's views mostly coincide with paleodiet thinking.

To wit, Peat claims that *all* vegetable oils, with the
exceptions of coconut and olive oil, are toxic to humans if not
consumed in their natural state.  I don't know anything about
Peat's credibility, but he does at least include a substantial
list of references for his views.

He also claims, however, that beef fat is contaminated by these
oils, as a consequence of the way in which cattle are fed.  This
also coincides with the view that beef fat contains excessive
amounts of arachidonic acid, another consequence of modern
feeding practices.  The clear implication is that the use of
suet, from commercial sources at least, to make pemmican is
questionable.  While the native Americans who invented pemmican
didn't have to deal with this contamination of the food supply,
we do.

I'd be interested to hear what others think about Peat's essays
and this line of thinking in general.

Todd Moody